Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thankfulness

So, I was having a pity party on Saturday night and decided that I need to stop, and enumerate the things(or should I say foods) that I am thankful for. It sounds so silly, but I cried over food. Thats right, food. We went to a pre-holiday party that one of Drew's classmate's threw and there was a TON of yummy delicious good fatty food. Now, I dunno the magic number of fat grams that will send me whirling into dire gallbladder pain, so I have been avoiding them as much as possible. Not to mention that my doc told me of another prego lady who had to be hospitalized cause one of her stones moved and blocked her pancreas! (why would you tell that to a lady with anxiety anyways???). So at the party I had a burger minus the burger and some carrots. I washed it all down with a fat free cake that I brought. I held in my tears while eating my cake (which totally did not turn out!!!) as I watched everyone else delve into the plates and plates of holiday cookies and treats not to mention the cheese ball! I held them in, until we got to the car that is. Then I lost it. Brookie kept saying, "it's ok mom, I will help you" which actually made me laugh enough to be able to gather enough air to tell Drew why I had broken down. He said, "whats wrong?" and I replied, "food!!!!". Silly, I know. I was crying over food. I felt like the recovering alcoholic at the beer and wine festival. I have since gathered myself and I can now laugh about the whole thing. I have decided that I need to be thankful for all that I CAN eat instead of depressed over the rest. So here are some of the wonderful fat-free or near fat-free things that God has blessed me with.....(in no particular order)....


Fat free cream cheese: while you are no good in a cheesecake, you make a wonderful spread on just about everything else! And you are reasonable priced at the local super market, or should I say "sooper" market. My favorite is a cream cheese, cranberry, spinach, mustard, and turkey breast sammie!

Fat free sour cream: You rock! You have made some of the yummiest mashed potatoes, and if I mix you with ketchup you make a pretty good fry sauce (not that fries are on the menu). I can mix you with salsa and use you to dip my homemade tortilla chips! (they are delish. You take corn tortillas and cut them into triangles and stick them in the oven on a non stick sheet. Then turn the oven on to 400 and when it is preheated, your chips are done. Only 1 gram of fat for three tortillas, or 24 chips! store bought have about 7 grams.)

Fat free cottage cheese: Once again, cheese that is fat free! How do they do it? Since fruit is usually fat free (and sugar doesn't count!) you are great for an afternoon snack. I especially love you with peaches.

Fat free yogurt: You come in so many flavors that I can have you every day and not get bored. You are also very yummy as a frozen treat. I can sometimes find you for 33 cents and that only adds to my joy.

Fat free cool whip: I know why you are so good! It is your sugar, but how you do it without cream is a mystery to me. I can dip grapes and strawberries in you and I can even put you on angel food cake (fat free as well!!).

Fruits and sometimes veggies: The majority of you are very good and very fat free. Although I struggle to keep you naked from the wonders of ranch and peanut butter, you have filled me up in my moment of hunger.

Bouillon: You are so loaded with salt that you need no fat! You make my soup very tasty, and with some no-yolk noodles you make an excellent fat free dinner.

Juice, soda, and sugary candies: you may give me diabetes, but you are fat free!

Cereal, wheat bread, and oatmeal,: While you have some fat, you are almost fat free and bring much needed relief late at night.

So you see, I could have celiac disease and be diabetic and be allergic to milk and eggs and peanuts and heaven forbid chocolate...but I am not. And I am grateful! Feel free to leave your favorite fat free item in the comments!

3 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I think my favorite fat free snack is popcorn I really LOVE that stuff and make it in the microwave all the time!

RoseAnna said...

Shayna. Oh how I love my Shayna. Aubrey and I were talking the other day and we were discusted with ourselves for letting you slip through our fingers. I'm so very glad that you found my blog and that we can be reconnected!!! Your family is so cute and I'm so glad you're having another one. Were do you guys live? What are you up to? I miss you and think about you often. For real. I do. I'm glad I have a way to stalk you!!!

Par 5 said...

Wait, what? There is such a thing as fat-free? Shoot. I've had the wool pulled over my eyes this whole time. No wonder I'm 30# overweight. You are a much better person than I to give it all up...I think I'd be the lady in the hospital because I have 0 self-discipline!