Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Morning Miracle.... post by Drew

As I was riding my bike to work this morning I had an incredibly jolting experience....

While heading eastbound on major street in Longmont (well about as major as they come in Longmont) I was enjoying the nice crisp winter morning. Suddenly, an extremely loud sound came from about 15 feet away. A head on collision had just occurred right next to me. But, it was not over. One of the drivers of a car had gone into immediate shock and kept her foot on the pedal... she was heading in my direction. I immediately came to a stop and she went right in front of me. Her car was moving over 30 mph and was less than one foot from running me over. Her car stopped about 10 feet away from me as she plowed over a sign and drove head on into a tree. I was able to help her until the paramedics arrive on scene and rushed her to hospital.

The driver that was at fault in the accident came barreling through a stop sign at 45-50 mph. She missed the stop sign because she was text messaging. She came through and hit the other car head on. Miracle #1 The car that was hit by the texting driver saved my life. If she had not been hit, the texting driver would have ran over me at 45+mph. The consequence is clear (rather, messy). Miracle #2 About 5 minutes before the accident, I crossed the street early than I normally do, which delayed my ride by a second or two. I typically do not cross where I did but clearly the Spirit was influencing my decision. If I would have stayed on the same route that I always take I would have been hit by the texting driver before she hit the other car. Again, the consequence is clear. Now, the moral of the story (well one of them).... this accident occurred around 8am. Brooklyn had said a prayer about one hour prior and included the statement "..bless daddy that he can be safe and have a good day." I had also asked for protection before leaving. I am certain that the faith of my family allowed me to be sensitive to Spirit and make very subtle, yet life saving, decisions. Also, I wonder what would have been different if I had an IPOD blaring in my ears? Would I have been able to be aware of these small whisperings? Hmmm.... I am humbled by these miracles. Let us keep the others involved the accident in our prayers!

One other moral.... everyday I see people texting and driving. Are you serious???? If it is so necessary to text while driving... maybe you should slow your life down, de-complicate yourself, or just pull over if it is that important.

4 comments:

Riggs Familia said...

what is it with you guys and car accidents?! glad you were safe. how scary.

Stephanie said...

That's crazy. Glad you were kept safe.

mrs. potato head said...

glad that brookie said her prayers and that you are ok.

Heather said...

That totally gives me chills! It's pretty scary out there. It's really amazing when you can actually see the Spirit at work, even in those tiny, insignificant (seeming) ways. Glad for Brook's prayers and that you're all safe!