Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ban Smoking at Aurora City Parks

I know Shayna is always putting fun family pics on here and I don't want to ruin that by raving on our blog about 'stuff'. HOWEVER, I need your support! It is sooo much fun when we take Brookie to the park and play. She loves to meet new friends and run, run , run!! There is not much more aggrevating than to have the person next to us or our CHILD light up a smoke. I'll be fair and say it does not happen every minute; however, it has happened enough times. I am all for everyone having their own rights, but it is more than that... when you having your own rights impedes my childs rights.... then it all stops there!! And just because you have the the right to smoke at a city park does not mean it is the right thing to do! So, I have been dialoguing with the City Council of Aurora and the Director of Parks and Rec. They are very supportive in the effort of banning all smoking on the grounds of Aurora City Parks. They have already initiated a reseach team to investigate the concern. If you or anyone you know would like to leave a note that I can pass onto the City Council please do so. Even just a line stating smoking should not be allowed at parks would suffice!!!! Just leave a not on here or email at babybrazier@msn.com
Thank you sooo much!!! Isn't is a blessing to live in a country in which our voice is heard! Please, remember I do not want to be one of those groups 'hatin' on others, I am sure the people smoking in parks are not 'bad' people, I just want our children to have a clean environment to play in!

9 comments:

Heather said...

I completely agree with you Drew. There is nothing that ruins being out in the fresh air than breathing someone else's second-hand smoke. When I go to a park, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a clean environment for me and my kids. I know that's why the City makes an effort to keep the playground equipment, picnic areas, and restroom facilities clean. Park and open space patrons are expected to clean up after their pets and remove their garbage. Those who smoke leave something that is at least as detrimental as other forms of waste and no way to clean it up. People may choose to smoke if they like, but public areas, parks and open space in particular, are not the places for it.

Mo Daddy said...

I agree. Keep the second-hand smoke away from our young ones.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I totally agree!!! Two days ago Heather, Maria and I were complaining about the same thing!!!

Stephanie said...

Cigarette smoke is annoying, just as bad as a car that pulls in front of you and emits black, nasty smoke. This is just one on a list of many annoyances. I just think you have to be really careful when you limit what people can do because where do you stop? Smokers have a good argument, they pay taxes or other fees that go towards that park. So are they entitled to a smoker's-only park? Perhaps it's better to approach it like you would with someone sputtering out bad language, etc. Tell them you don't like it and ask them to stop.

We love you guys and hope everything else is going good.

Anonymous said...

What about non smoker's rights?

Pilar said...

Well I agree with heather's and Stephanie's comments.
Here is what I think. It is not healthy for little ones to be exposed to second hand smoking. Specially when they are smoking right there where not only your kid is, but many others. Maybe a smoke friendly area at the park would be a good idea. Just not right next to the playground. I SAY NO TO SMOKING IN GENERAL. NO SMOKING AT THE PLAYGROUND. THANKS

Bethany said...

Smokers have the choice to smoke, but when they do in public places, suddenly we don't have the choice as to whether or not we breath clean air. Sure, we have the choice to leave and go to another park, but then we're clogging up the environment anyways with extra miles on our cars. Please ban smoking in public parks (or at least have designated smoking places FAR AWAY from playgrounds).

Lilit said...

Freedom is peoples' right to do what they please and as long as that doesn't prevent others' from that same right everything is great. I believe smoking takes away the freedom of those that choose not to smoke, because once the non-smoker is in the presence of a smoker then it is as if they smoke too! PLEASE BAN smoking in playground/parks.
I chose not to smoke or secondhand smoke!

Amy said...

Hi- Stephanie gave me your link.

I am sure that smokers have the right to kill themselves with the poison they choose to inhale, but it is a proven fact that second hand smoke kills. No one should smoke around children. I remember playing soccer as a kid, exhausted and panting for breath. I remember sucking in a big breath of air for relief as I ran down the field near the sideline only to have my lungs filled with cigarette smoke instead of fresh air. It annoyed me at 12; it infuriates me as a mother.

The thing about cigarette smoke is that the person smoking is not the only one being affected. Smoking should not be allowed around playgrounds. Maybe the solution is to have a smoking section at public parks if you can't get it banned altogether.