Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Watch Out for the Guy in Tights on the Bike!!!

Hey everyone, this is Drew (Shayna's sidekick). I wanted to share a story that happened yesterday... enjoy!

I am Riding home on my bike, IN THE BIKING LANE. A friendly man, with an excess amount of testosterone, quickly passed me in his truck. He was about an inch from knocking right off of my bike. While in passing he said, " Explicit, explicit, get off the road, explicit, explicit!" Mind you, I WAS IN THE BIKE LANE! I proceeded to ride IN THE BIKE LANE, while approaching the upcoming red light I noticed he was the right next to me stopped. I began to have several thoughts... first of which, I did something wrong on the road, wait no, I was IN THE BIKE LANE! Second, (the therapist side of me) he had a traumatizing experience on a bike and the simply the sight of a bike triggers unwanted/very angry feelings. No, the third thought... just keep going about my business and ignore him. So, it happens I pull up to the red light and he said, " Hey, explicit, explicit explicit, you got a problem with me?" I was thinking to myself I have not yet even acknowledged his existence, how could I have a problem???? I continued to look forward and ignore him... he said, "You need me to get out of my truck to talk about this?" I thought to myself talk about what? You are simply carrying on an unwanted hateful monologue. There only needs be one individual in a monologue, right? Next thought, I should say, "yes, but hold on let me go set my bike down and come talk to you, better yet can I set in the back of your truck and we can speak while you take me home, that is since you don't want me on the road, IN THE BIKE LANE." Well, the time came I turned to him and said, " Sir, we can talk if you would like; however, my office is a few miles down that road (pointing). I prefer to speak to people in a more private and confidential setting about their problems. The downside is talking to me about your problems means I will have to charge you my normal fee and that is $$." WOW... it worked... he shut his mouth looked ahead and sped off. And me, well I stayed IN THE BIKE LANE and rode my happy self home! So, when you see that guy in tights riding his bike, be nice to him, especially if he is IN THE BIKE LANE trying to get home to his family!!!

By the way... when I got home Shayna had made the BEST meal!!!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

LOL! That's awesome!

Heather said...

That's an awesome story. I always wish I could come up with something good to say...not to be a jerk, but to help them realize that they're being ridiculous. Nicely done!

Jon-Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pilar said...

I agree with Heather, that was the right thing to say. Good job!

Stefanie said...

With a heading like "guy with tights" I expected a picture! Way to be calm and collected, but remember from Kev's experience...you can still get run down by a car even in the bike lane.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Too funny!